Our Ordinary Life

Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Weekend Recap

We had an active weekend, despite all the rain. Friday night we went out to dinner at Carrabbas. I really love their food! I had Whole Wheat Linguini and Clams in Garlic Olive Oil, Danny had Mr. & Mrs. C's special which is Chicken Involtini and Chicken Santa Rosa with sauteed spinach, Adam had spaghetti and meatball (it's one honkin' meatball!) and Geary had grilled chicken. Yeah...weird, I know! The kid does not like red sauce on his pasta, so he gets grilled chicken. Adam entertained us by practicing some magic at the dinner table. He's been playing this new computer game - Wizarding 101 - so he's got magic on the brain.

Magic Man

I didn't say he was very good!



I worked Saturday and Sunday mornings at the Gulf Champs Meet hosted by Fleet at the Fleet Pool. All Fleet families are asked to volunteer 24 hours per year, or they are charged $150. There are lots of things that go on to make a Meet run successfully - Concessions, Hospitality (feeding the visiting coaches and volunteers), running the Colorado computerized timing system, Clerk of Course, Safety Marshalls, Announcing, Parking.

I'm now part of the "committee" that is overseeing concessions at Fleet hosted meets. Fleet sells drinks (water, gatorade, sodas), muffins, fruit (bananas, apples) and some candy. All the heavy-duty "hot" food we contract out to a local sub-shop, Lenny's. So all that I'm responsible for is making sure we have enough drinks on ice, enough food (but not too much!) and keep an eye on the cash box. I'm working with one of the Board of Director members trying to come up with a committee of 3 or 4 other ladies so we can rotate through the weekend...that way none of us has to work the whole weekend. This is my second meet and it's getting easier for me. I'm starting to get a feel for the ebb-and-flow of concession sales.

The Voice of Fleet
Danny has become the "Official Voice of Fleet"! He does the announcing at almost every meet. The Team Director told me over the weekend that she hated to ask him to do it this past weekend because he does announce at every meet. But, he loves it!




Here fishy...
 Dan also picked up some fish to restart one of our fish tanks. He got 2 clown loaches, 4 bala sharks, a lemon angel fish, 2 red-tail sharks and a spotted plecko. Skylar thinks that she should be able to play with them!

After I left the meet on Saturday, we went to see The Sorcerer's Apprentice. We all LOVED it! Nicholas Cage is a whacko (highly technical term!), but he's brilliant! I love how they worked in the Mickey scene from Fantasia and some other cultural references (I don't want to spoil it for you!). If you're looking for a shut-your-brain-off-for-a-couple-hours type of movie, this is it.

That's all for now...see you soon!

0 comments: